Re: tag2upload should record git tag signer info in .dsc [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> That means the original "uploader" information (ie the identity of the
> person signing the git tag) is not any more present in the source
> package.  To rememdy that I propose the following new field:

>   Git-Tag-Info: FINGERPRINT Firstname Surname <email@address>

> The parsing rules are: the first word is the fingerprint entirely in
> hex.  The rest is from the tag's "tagger" line (and may not match).

One thing that jumps out at me here is that this field isn't extensible,
since anything after the first space-separated word has to be taken to be
the tagger line.

Unfortunately, doing something extensible within the field requires adding
a separator, which in turn requires dealing with escaping, and thus is
kind of a mess.  Given that, what if you instead used two fields:

    Git-Tag-Info: fingerprint=FINGERPRINT
    Git-Tag-Tagger: Firstname Surname <email@address>

and then Git-Tag-Info could be extended later using additional key/value
pairs to hold other information, use spaces or commas between attributes,
and so forth?  For instance, that would let us add the date later if it
looked like that might be useful for some reason.

That also allows the tagger field to be defined has having the same syntax
as Maintainer (or one of the other existing RFC-2822-style fields we
have), which I think increases the chances that parsers will get this
right.