Re: .deb format: let's use 0.939, zstd, drop bzip2

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 02:49:01PM +0200, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>:
> > I've certainly heard people describe our use of both ar and tar as an
> > architectural minus especially on embedded platforms just because the
> > dependency set of dpkg needed to be larger.
>
> On my embedded systems, I don't have ar installed, only tar.
> I assume, that dpkg speaks ar natively?

Both yes and no, of course. :p

> > I don't know how big of a concern that still is, but it does seem
> > strange to use multiple different archiving technologies in the same
> > format today.
>
> Anything wrong with one .zip, just like .jar or .odf?

/usr on the box I'm sitting at:
* zip the program: dies horribly due to /usr/lib/llvm-7/build/ symlink
  loops.
* zip:
	1891345142 bytes
* zip-the-concept (individually compressed files), xz
	1516943024 bytes
* tar.xz
	1092591508 bytes

Linux source:
* zip:
	213820843 bytes
* individually compressed files, xz
	180997203 bytes
* tar.xz:
	104318396 bytes

So no, I don't want zip, nor even a randomly accessible format.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Did ya know that typing "test -j8" instead of "ctest -j8"