Re: RFC: Support for zstd in .deb packages?

Hi!

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018, Guillem Jover wrote:
[...]
> * Format stability: Although it's supposedly frozen now, it has
> changed quite often in recent times. AFAIR it was also mentioned at
> least in the past that the target was mainly real-time data streaming,
> so long-term data storage might not be a priority? Would need
> clarification from upstream I guess.

I'm one of the upstream maintainers of zstd. If you have any questions,
please feel free to either open an issue on the issue board [1] or email
me or Yann Collet (CCed).

The format has been stable since version 0.8.1, which was released on
August 18th 2016. We have an RFC draft describing the compression
format in progress [2], so we are completely committed to keeping the
format stable.

Long-term data storage is as much a priority for us as real-time data
streaming. IMO one of the strengths of Zstandard is the ability to maintain
the same fast decompression speed at every compression level. That
allows both real-time streaming and long-term storage to use the same
format.

[1] https://github.com/facebook/zstd/issues
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kucherawy-dispatch-zstd-01

Thanks,