Re: RFC: Support for zstd in .deb packages?

Guillem Jover writes ("RFC: Support for zstd in .deb packages?"):
> * Eternity contract: This would add yet another format that would need
>   to be supported pretty much forever, to be able to at least unpack
>   .deb's that might be available in the wild. This also increases the
>   (Build-)Essential-set.

This means that we should be much slower to adopt new compression
schemes than projects where data compression is used for transport or
short-term storage.

I would say that a new compression scheme should be widely used for
several years before we would consider it for source package and at
least half a decade before we would adopt it for .debs.

I am also concerned that we are the target of an advocacy campaign.

Ian.