Design Documentation for dpkg

Hi,

I went to your main webpage (https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg) to try to understand the design and architecture of dpkg, itself. I am thinking of using this for a personal embedded project and need to try to assess its feasibility in my project. However, I cannot find any document on the actual design or architecture of dpkg, itself. Do you have any documents that describes how the actual design works? Or, do I need to read the dpkg code and reverse engineer it? I know how it works from a user perspective when installing a package on a Debian system but that is not what I am after.

Lastly, I see that perl is used. Is that only used for compilation of dpkg or is it needed in the actual execution of dpkg or both?

Thanks,

Scott