Re: RFC: dpkg patch to using -ffile-prefix-map

On 2018-08-07, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:54:09AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>> > So by default, it would be disabled initially, and then we could
>> > explicitly enable this for the reproducible builds test framework? After
>> > it proves to be working and useful and not disruptive, I presume we
>> > would enable it by default?
>> Yeah. That was at Mattia's request too. I'm not sure I'd mind much
>> setting it by default from the get go.
>
> cool too!
>
>> But it might be wiser to let
>> the repro buildds crunch on this for a bit in case unrelated things
>> break. :)
>
> sure! We've been running this code since last Saturday... so in a while
> we should know for sure :)

Which has been over a week now, though slightly modified to default to
enabling fixfilepath.

I've seen it fix at least one reproducibility issue(zbackup), and have
seen the correct flag passed in builds, so I can confirm that it's
working. I haven't seen obvious examples where it breaks anything,
though admittedly haven't looked very closely.

It'd be great to at least see it in dpkg in a default disabled state
soon, and then the test infrastructure can set the environment variable
DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=reproducible=+fixfilepath (or reproducible=+all
? I *think* that's the right syntax?) so the test infrastructure to
enables it...

Would it be safe to set that in the test infrastructure even when dpkg
has no support for it; does dpkg ignore unknown features?

The less conservative option would, of course, be to enable it by
default in sid... :)

live well,
  vagrant