Re: Repository switch over to Salsa?

Hello Guillem,
Alioth just shut down. Any news on the move?

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 03:31:00AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-02-03 at 19:11:42 +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > are you (when?) switching over to salsa?
>
> I'm still not sure yet. I started a wiki page with some of my concerns
> at <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/AliothEscape>, I should update
> it because some things have been fixed meanwhile.

I just rechecked the page and I did not find the answer, just the pros
and cons of the alternatives.

> > Are you reestablishing commit access as it is currently?
>
> This is also something I'm not entirely sure about. One problem I've
> had in the past is when preparing releases, if someone pushes then it
> invalidates the current release process, which is annoying. Also
> something I think I agree with the APT team, which they kind of
> decided as policy recently with the switch to salsa is that if the
> committers are not following very closely the project (so both mailing
> lists and IRC), it makes it more difficult to coordinate or be on top
> of what's going on.

I follow the mailing list. Also I strongly follow your commit policies
(which might be improved, so please let me know). Sometimes I also
fix some very minor issue in the documentation (like spelling fixes, I
think I also unbroke other translations previously).

> What I've been pondering about is whether switching to a merge-request
> based workflow for translations, or perhaps even a switch to weblate
> might work better for everyone?

I'd strongly prefer the current workflow. Having to switch to a
(partial) web based workflow would make me seriously reconsider my
involvement. Also I'm not sure everything I've done so far (like
stated above or fixes for errors in the (old)stable translation)
would still be possible then.

Greetings

       Helge