Re: Proposal: A new approach to differential debs

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:53:16AM -0400, Peter Silva wrote:
> You are assuming the savings are substantial.  That's not clear.  When
> files are compressed, if you then start doing binary diffs, well it
> isn't clear that they will consistently be much smaller than plain new
> files.  it also isn't clear what the impact on repo disk usage would
> be.
>
> The most straigforward option:
> The least intrusive way to do this is to add differential files in
> addition to the existing binaries, and any time the differential file,
> compared to a new version exceeds some threhold size (for example:
> 50%) of the original file, then you end up adding the sum total of the
> diff files in addition to the regular files to the repos.  I haven't
> done the math, but it's clear to me that it ends up being about double
> the disk space with this approach. it's also costly in that all those
> files have to be built and managed, which is likely a substantial
> ongoing load (cpu/io/people)  I think this is what people are
> objecting to.
>
> A more intrusive and less obvious way to do this is to use zsync (
> http://zsync.moria.org.uk/. ) With zsync, you build tables of content
> for each file, using the same 4k blocking that rsync does. To handle
> compression efficiently, there needs to be an understanding of
> blocking, so a customized gzip needs to be used.  With such a format,
> you produce the same .deb's as today, with the .zsyncs (already in
> use?) and the author already provides some debian Packages files as
> examples.  The space penalty here is probably only a few percent.

Today's research has shown that rolling hashes do not perform well
on executables because of changing offsets and so on destroying the
hashes. There were no measurable space savings when adding fairly
similar firefox releases to either a casync or borg repository -
and that's on uncompressed tarballs of the latest 2 firefox uploads.

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |