Re: Accepted dpkg 1.18.19 (source) into unstable

Hi, Guillem.  I'm afraid I find myself writing a critical email.

Guillem Jover writes ("Accepted dpkg 1.18.19 (source) into unstable"):
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 05:43:36 +0100
> Source: dpkg
> Binary: dpkg libdpkg-dev dpkg-dev libdpkg-perl dselect

AIUI this has missed the deadline for migration into stretch.

Did you intend this for stretch ?  If not then I don't think
it was appropriate to upload it to sid.

I have just filed three bugs, at least the first two of which I think
are troubling for stretch:

 #852822  signing buildinfo by default breaks compatibility
 #852821  Dropping Built-For-Profiles is risky
 #852820  Testsuite-Restrictions field is hard to use

If you did intend it for stretch, then I question the wisdom of making
such large changes so close to the deadline.  If (as I calculate) you
have missed the formal deadline, you will need a freeze exception.

I think at the very least changes like these:

>    * Avoid useless repeated lstat()s in update-alternatives.
>    * Only check for debian/tests/control file once in dpkg-source.
>    * Do not compute the architecture list twice in dpkg-genchanges.
>    * Perl modules:
>      - Call anonymous subs via -> operator instead of casting with &, and fix
>        bogus POD documentation to match the code.
>      - Add a new debug() reporting function, and switch code to use it.
>      - Add new Dpkg::BuildOption parse_features() method refactored from
>        Dpkg::Vendor::Debian.

ought not to get a freeze exception and are unwise at this point in
the release cycle.

Can you clarify your intent ?

Ian.