Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

Hi all,

Mattia, please see below for a pbuilder-specific question.

Quoting James Clarke (2017-01-08 12:14:07)
> This turns out to be true. Working in a patches-applied tree:
>
>     $ dpkg-source --before-build .
>     $ dpkg-source -b .
>     $ dpkg-source --after-build .
>
> leaves the patches applied. Working in a patches-unapplied tree, the
> patches are unapplied during the --after-build. This seems to do exactly
> what you want, with the caveat that, if patches are only *part*-applied,
> they will be completely unapplied by the --after-build, but this seems
> like a very strange edge-case.
>
> This behaviour is exactly what pdebuild has been doing forever (and
> therefore git-buildpackage --git-pbuilder and others).

I'm not very familiar with pbuilder. Looking at the man page it seems that
pbuilder itself exclusively accepts a source package .dsc and for building a
source directory one needs the pdebuild wrapper?

If that is the case, then it seems sensible for sbuild to do the same as
pdebuild if given a source directory only. Both tools should behave the same
way when executed in the same context, I think.

Are there any reasons against this plan? (targeting Buster)

Thanks!

cheers, josch