Re: debian-policy: Deprecating dependency of "binary" on "build"

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 22:06:51 +0200 (CEST) Santiago Vila
<sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> Package: debian-policy
> Version: 3.9.8
> Severity: wishlist
>
> Greetings.

Hi,

CCing debian-dpkg@l.d.o because I think Guillem would be interested in this.

> Debian Policy 4.9 says:
>
>  Both binary-* targets should depend on the build target, or on the
>  appropriate build-arch or build-indep target, if provided, so that the
>  package is built if it has not been already.
>

> I don't see the point at all:
>

> * Autobuilders *always* invoke the build-* targets first.
>
> * dpkg-buildpackage *always* invoke the build/build-* target first.
>
> [...]
>
> * Building as root should be discouraged.

It is my understanding that Guillem is working on making the requirement
for using (fake)root obsolete.  This would have different benefits that
relevant to this discussion:

 * We can reduce the number of calls to make and by extension all
   the $(shell ...) invocation in d/rules (see #793404 for a discussion
   of that)

 * In theory, /if/ we could do a 100% transition, we could ditch the
   build target as a mandatory target. (Though this is hardly in the
   "near future" by any measure).

> [...]
>
> I don't know if this proposal will seem controversial, because we have
> been doing that for ages, so please let us consider all the pros and
> all the cons.
>
> [...]
>
> Thanks.

I have no strong feeling for whether build should remain a mandated
target (re: my second bullet above).  But I have a conflict of interest
with mandating that build must always be done in a separate invocation
as it would complicate a major progress on #793404.
  My understanding is that removing the dependency would do exactly the
latter (as "debian/rules build binary" is no longer well defined).

Thanks,
~Niels