Re: source-only builds and .buildinfo

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 02:47:20PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi Ian--
>
> On Tue 2017-06-20 18:10:49 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > A .buildinfo file is not useful for a source-only upload which is
> > veried to be identical to the intended source as present in the
> > uploader's version control (eg, by the use of dgit).
> >
> > Therefore, dgit should not include .buildinfos in source-only uploads
> > it performs.  If dgit sees that a lower-layer tool like
> > dpkg-buildpackage provided a .buildinfo for a source-only upload, dgit
> > should strip it out of .changes.
>
> I often do source-only uploads which include the .buildinfo.
>
> I do source-only uploads because i don't want the binaries built on my
> own personal infrastructure to reach the public.  But i want to upload
> the .buildinfo because i want to provide a corroboration of what i
> *expect* the buildds to produce.

If you expect that, then your expectation is incorrect.

If you upload a package right now, chances are the buildds will use both
older versions of some packages [1] and more recent versions of some
other packages [2] than what you used.

>     --dkg

cu
Adrian

[1] buildd chroots are regenerated twice per week and not updated
    prior to each build
[2] some packages might already have been updated compared to what
    you used

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed