Re: source-only builds and .buildinfo

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: source-only builds and .buildinfo"):
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:59:55AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > [Ian:]
> > > Alternatively dgit could strip out the .buildinfo, depending on
> > > whether it ran rules clean.
>
> While a plain `dgit push-source` will prepare a fresh .dsc and .changes,
> we also want it to work with -C, which allows the user to supply an
> existing .dsc and .changes.  So even if we use dpkg-source and
> dpkg-genchanges directly, we still need a validation function that says
> whether a .changes is source-only.

Ah, yes.

> Alternatively we could have dgit not accept -C with push-source.  This
> would be to think of push-source as a command to /do/ a source-only
> upload, rather than a variant on `dgit push` that /ensures/ a
> source-only upload.  This is probably fine.

(For others reading: -C is the dgit option to specify an existing
changes file.  Normally `dgit push-source' would generate one.)

I think that would be suboptimal, though.  If you say -C you should
get the .buildinfo that's in the .changes, I guess.  So that means
that dgit needs a validator, and it needs to accept .buildinfo at
least in this case.

I still think `dgit push-source' (without -C) probably shouldn't
include a buildinfo in the upload unless it ran (or caused
dpkg-buildpackage to run) `debian/rules clean'.

Ian.