Re: Reasons to not use quote signs directly?

Hello Guillem,
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 04:21:31PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-09-21 at 01:59:10 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > But I've found some quirks and issues that while not unsurmountable,
> > might need to be looked at first and perhaps fixed or workarounds found
> > to avoid "regressions", and I'm not sure which ones Russ would be happy
> > to get bug reports for? :) I'm attaching a PoC conversion (can be tested
> > with «pod2man deb-symbols.pod|man -l -», and is available also from [G])
> > and here's a list of potential differences/issues:
>
> I've been playing with this a bit, converted few more pages and
> updated the build infrastructure, and it might be workable after all.
> One ideal goal would be to try to get as less fuzzied strings as
> possible after a conversion. Here's a list of alternatives/workarounds
> for some of the issues/differences:

Thanks for your analysis. Given that we are closing in on a release my
request is simple: Delay any update which causes (lots of) fuzzy
strings just for formatting to the next cycle.

The formatting updates are simply a pain for translators, and at least
in the beginning of the cycle you can review them by pices. This late
in the cycle you just are frustrated because many pages (which are
translated looking at the content) are failing to translate because of
formatting.

I won't have much time in the coming months and I'd rather spend it on
updating the German translation (which started this thread) and/or
helping other translation teams to get as many translated man pages as
possible.

Automatic conversion might quite difficult, because each language has a
different status, some (e.g. German) are current, some have already
done the latest formatting changes, some only the second latest and
some are really old. (Obviously, the last ones might be ignorable).
And, of course, some might have blindly followed your formatting
(which I did and now start to divert), some might have not or only
partially …

Greetings

         Helge