Re: dpkg-deb silently fails?

Andrew Pollock writes ("dpkg-deb silently fails?"):
> I haven't filed a bug for this yet because I'm only secondarily involved,
> but if you look at the build log
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=ceph&arch=mipsel&ver=0.80.11-1&stamp=1453099724
> it appears that ceph-test-dbg got silently invalidly generated. I'm unsure
> the condition of the buildd was at the time of the build, and if a
> filesystem was full.
>
> I'd have thought that the build shouldn't succeed under these circumstances,
> and the most obvious way for that to happen would be for dpkg-deb --build to
> fail.
>
> What are your thoughts on this? Should I file a bug with the information I
> have? My understanding is this isn't the only package that ended up in this
> state (the other one may also have been built on the same buildd).

The problem is that we can't really know whether this is a bug in
dpkg-deb or some kind of random corruption on the specific buildd.

I suggest that a good approach to this would be for you to inspect the
dpkg source code and/or try to repro the bug (eg by setting ulimit, or
using a deliberately-small tmpfs).

Ian.