Re: Handling Multi-Arch packages that must be installed for every enabled architecture?

Josh Triplett writes ("Re: Handling Multi-Arch packages that must be installed for every enabled architecture?"):
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 07:08:39PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > * LD_PRELOAD hacks need their .so installing for all architecture "for
> >   which they are going to be used" (whatever that means)
>
> Such as fakeroot and fakechroot?

Right, faketime too.  I maintain one: authbind.

> > * The language plugin problem.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  Do you mean languages that have native-code
> plugins?

Yes.

Example:

sauce [all] contains pure Tcl code.

It has a #! line naming a specific Tcl interpreter (let's say 8.5, for
now).  So it Depends tcl8.5 (or whatever).  tcl8.5 is (or should be)
M-A foreign.  It contains the Tcl script interpreter executable.

sauce uses adns to do its primary DNS queries.  This is done via a Tcl
plugin in the chiark-tcl package.  sauce loads this with the Tcl
"load" builtin, which loads a named shared object from the library
search path and calls a specific init function.

So sauce Depends libtcl-chiark-1.

libtcl-chiark-1 is Arch: any.  It contains only shared objects.  It
needs to be coinstallable.  It should be M-A: same.

Somehow we need to arrange that if sauce:all's dependency on tcl8.5
is satisfied by tcl8.5:X, and libtcl-chiark-1:X is installed.

Ian.