Re: Handling Multi-Arch packages that must be installed for every enabled architecture?

On Fri, 2016-06-24 at 23:01 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Some packages, if installed on any architecture, must be installed for
> every enabled architecture.  Most notably, an NSS or PAM module package,
> if enabled in /etc/nsswitch.conf or /etc/pam.d respectively, must exist
> for every enabled architecture to avoid breaking programs for that
> architecture.

What if I enable an architecture only for cross-building and don't
intend to run programs from that architecture?

> As one possible solution for this problem (but not an ideal one, just a
> thought experiment), dpkg could support a new value for "Multi-Arch",
> "Multi-Arch: every".  This value would imply "Multi-Arch: same", but if
> installed, would additionally cause dpkg to act the same way it does for
> Essential packages: install the package when enabling the architecture.
> (And when installing the package, dpkg would need to require installing
> it for every supported architecture; dpkg could refuse to configure the
> package if any enabled architecture doesn't have it unpacked.)
>
> That would solve the problem for the couple of cases it has come up in,
> but it seems far from ideal; I'd welcome an cleaner alternative
> solution.  Notably, this doesn't work well for plugin packages for
> libraries less critical than glibc; it's not even ideal for PAM, as not
> every enabled architecture will have packages depending on libpam0g.
> The real dependency is "if any package on the architecture depends on
> package X, and package Y is installed, package Y:arch must be
> installed", but that's excessively complicated.

I don't think we can ever say there is a hard dependency here.
Instead of adding another Multi-Arch value, how about adding
'Recommends: Y:every' to Y?  (This also moves the problem up from dpkg
to APT.)

Ben.

--

Ben Hutchings
Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.