Re: Q: xz multi-threaded compression support and dpkg-dev

Hi!

On Mon, 2015-11-16 at 02:37:44 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:22:36 +0100
> Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> > AFAICS if the threading is enabled in the xz-utils build, then the xz
> > tool should opportunistically make use of the threaded encoder. That
> > would cover dpkg-source transparently.
> >
> > For the dpkg-deb code, switching to use the multithreaded encoder is
> > rather easy, but given that the libdpkg/dpkg-deb code is not thread-safe
> > at all, overall it would be way more tricky.
> >
> > But, yes we'd first need the library to be available in testing at
> > least.
>
>  Thanks for your reply, Guillem.
>  Then, Jonathan, is there any reason to not update xz-utils these days?
>  Newer xz has potential to improve debian more.

Starting with dpkg 1.18.4, multithreaded xz compression should be
supported out-of-the-box when using a recent enough xz command-line
tool and liblzma. dpkg should in principle just only need a rebuild,
although I've not run-tested the code, only build tested it.

I think Jonathan would appreciate help with the new upstream version,
as he mentioned on bug #731634.

Thanks,
Guillem