Re: Bug#771971: dpkg hangs installing "init" during upgrade from wheezy to jessie
- To: Steve McIntyre <email@example.com>
- Cc: Niels Thykier <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Dpkg-Maintainers <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Dominik Schäfer <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#771971: dpkg hangs installing "init" during upgrade from wheezy to jessie
- From: Guillem Jover <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 02:47:20 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20150130014720.GC16052@gaara.hadrons.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Steve McIntyre <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Niels Thykier <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Dpkg-Maintainers <email@example.com>, Dominik Schäfer <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20150125203448.GH27190@einval.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <handler.771971.B.email@example.com> <20141204005648.GA16200@einval.com> <20141204005648.GA16200@einval.com> <[🔎] 54C4D3EB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <[🔎] 20150125131802.GA12514@gaara.hadrons.org> <[🔎] 20150125201157.GA18806@gaara.hadrons.org> <[🔎] 20150125203448.GH27190@einval.com>
On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 20:34:48 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 09:11:57PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> >On Sun, 2015-01-25 at 14:18:03 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> >> Adding -D77777 to the dpkg call through apt's DPkg::options would be
> >> helpful. It would also be helpful to know which process hangs, and if
> >> it's dpkg itself an easy recipe to reproduce this?
> >I just noticed this was a bug report from December, so I assume this
> >was possibly one of the dpkg bugs where it was busy looing (#766242
> >or #766322), which is now fixed?
> Possibly, yes.
> >Although those fixes migrated to testing on 2014-11-03, so I'm not
> >sure. It would be nice to get more information of the environment at
> >the time. But if it does not happen anymore then it might indeed be
> >fixed already. :/
> I still have my backup of the VM image at the time, so it should be
> possible to try upgrading it using snapshot.d.o from that time too, if
> it's likely to be useful.
If it's not too cumbersome or might take too much of your time, it
would be useful, indeed, as the timing seems wrong, and I'd expect
a fixed dpkg to have been in place. So it would be nice to discard
any possible remaining problems that might still be lurking around.