Re: gitweb breaks apache upgrade

Hi!

On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 17:07:14 -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Guillem Jover wrote:
> > In this case though, it seems switching to interest-noawait is the
> > correct fix, because gitweb just wants to be notified when the
> > apache2-maintscript-helper program appears to be able to configure
> > itself, but apache does not care and does not need to await the
> > trigger processing from gitweb for itself to be operational.
>
> Is there a way to tell the packaging system that gitweb is not
> operational until the trigger runs, without implying that apache2 is
> not operational until the trigger runs?

A package in «triggers-pending» does satisfiy dependencies, so even if
apache2 is awaiting triggers processing (i.e. in a «triggers-awaited»
state and as such does not satisfy dependencies) gitweb is considered
for all practical purposes to be «installed».

But I'm not sure I'm seeing the need for what you request. gitweb
states that it can use any of «apache2 | httpd | lynx-cur», so the
interest on the apache2 program is just to get an opportunistic
configuration in case we are using apache2. Is there any other package
that would need to rely on an operational gitweb to work itself? I'm
not sure we usually represent services exposed through a httpd or on
the network in general as readily available through packaging system
states. There are so many things that might need to be set up to
expose the service.

Thanks,
Guillem