Re: Which version/change in dpkg made it fully honour file modes?

[...]
> Actually dpkg-source does not even know about git-style patches, it's
> just that the patch program has started recognizing them since version
> 2.7. There's already 749070, and I had pending sending a mail to d-d,
> precisely looking for possible build breakages. Anyway I'll try to whip
> up that mail today.

Ah, thanks a lot for the detailed info - and the fact that this is a patch thing
entirely clarifies why I couldn't notice any related changelog entry in dpkg :-)

> > So mainly out of curiosity I was wondering when support for this had been added?
> > Obviously I would be really nice to see that backported, but I guess there is no
> > urgency here.
>
> Depends on what you mean by backported, if you mean porting back that
> functionality to stable, I don't really see it happening as it requires
> a new upstream patch version. If you mean to backports.d.o, then I guess
> you'll need to talk with the patch maintainer and the backports admins.
> I'm not sure that would be a good idea though, as I might, perhaps, end
> up disabling git-style patches depending on the discussion on d-d.

I'll happily join that discussion then - JFTR: as far as I can tell right now, I
can only see 2 packages definitively making use of git-style patches (in that
they introduce symlinks), but I might find a few more as I complete the review
of my build failures.

Best,
Michael

PS.: Still not subscribed, so please keep me CC'ed.