Re: ETA for string freeze / upload planning? (especially for L10n teams)

Hello Guillem,
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 06:27:59AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-10-07 at 20:25:33 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > yesterday quite a few changed / added strings were added to the master
> > repository.
> >
> > Since the Freeze is quickly approaching I wanted to ask when the
> > strings stabilize, i.e. translation teams (which might require some
> > time for review!) should start working on the updates.
>
> As I mentioned in
> <https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2014/05/msg00010.html>, in
> principle I should have stopped doing mass string changes two months
> before the freeze. I'm not aware of any such change that might have
> slipped into 1.17.14, but maybe I missed some. Supposedly the string
> changes there were for new features and similar.

I just wondered because the man pages got 65 fuzzy and 15 new strings.
I'm almost done with working on them, most of the are rather small
changes. But as they appeared the moment you release the last version
(well, the one with the build problems, not the ones fixing them) I
wondered if there were more changes in the pipeline.

> The string freeze would still be two weeks before the freeze, but I
> realize it might be too tight? Because dpkg will require 10 days
> before the freeze to migrate, hmmm.

For German this is no problem. But e.g. Swedish (the third best
translated man pages) has 96+33 strings to do, and polish (the next
one) 360+134 (though I don't know how active the polish dpkg
translation is).

Usually, for much smaller (Debconf) templates, there is a string
freeze, a 10 day call for translations (enabling teams to translate
and review the changes) and than an upload.

> > Also is there a plan for future uploads (before the Freeze). IIRC, the
> > last possible date would be around October 25th.
>
> Probably some more, but if there's any string change, it should be
> pretty targetted and specific. No general text rewrites and similar,
> or string cleanups.
>
> I guess, I'll be preparing a CfT soon, so that translators do have
> time to get ready, even if few more strings might change during the
> coming 1/2 weeks.

Thanks. I tentitavely thought about a CfT as well, unfortunately
Bubulle had to reduce his i18n work so I have a lot to do for getting
in "forgotten" German translations in various packages.

Greetings

           Helge