dpkg-source --commit fails to find local changes

I'm unable to get dpkg-source to see that I have changed files in a
python source package format 3.0 (quilt):

dpkg-source: info: there are no local changes to record

No matter what I seem to do inside the json-schema-validator package,
dpkg refuses to spot the change, even renaming the package in setup.py
or changing the .py files. I get no warning on building and I have to
create the patch manually.

Is this a regression or is there something different about the
json-schema-validator and versiontools packages?

This happened with 1.17.11 and 1.17.12.

--

Neil Williams