Re: dpkg-query --print-avail: how to get long descriptions?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:04:35 +0200
Marcel Partap <mpartap@gmx.net> wrote:

> Dear DPKG developers,
> for all my packages installed (via aptitude), long descriptions are
> written (by? aptitude? dpkg?) to /var/lib/dpkg/{status,available} ..
> How to get them for uninstalled packages as well? The
> /var/lib/dpkg/available generated by dselect update does only contain
> the short description.. apt-cache also doesn't show them.

apt-cache show <package>
does include the long description, along with all of the other fields.

The full list of long descriptions for all packages, as well as all the
other information, will be in /var/lib/apt/lists/ - one large file per
apt source, combining installed and uninstalled packages.

--

Neil Williams