Correct way of providing uncompressed data.tar

Hi,

in linux-source-3.11, we have an issue due to unclear procedure how to
use uncompressed data.tar files:

http://bugs.debian.org/725492

While lintian rejects packages with data.tar (in contrast to the
compressed data.tar.{...} variants), an uncompressed data.tar.gz that
the kernel is currently using (dpkg-source -Xgzip -z0) triggers problems
in apt-ftparchive.

To implement a correct fix, Ben asked for a decision by dpkg
maintainers, FTP team and policy. Basically, the question is if
uncompressed data.tar is the correct way (for me, this would be the
logical consequence), or rather uncompressed data.tar.gz as linux
currently does, but which isn't actually gzip formatted file, or sth. else.

See also http://bugs.debian.org/718330

Thanks in advance,

Roland