Re: Add multiarch library paths to DEFAULT_LIBRARY_PATH in Dpkg::Shlibs?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, Wookey wrote:
> So in general it seems like a good idea to me for dpkg shlibs to check
> multiarch paths at build time if it doesn't already, because it'll
> need to soon. I am of course happy to hear of reasons why that will
> break things and we should not do it yet.

All of this makes no sense to me. The Dpkg::Shlibs module is used by
dpkg-shlibdeps and dpkg-gensymbols.

The former wants to find the library (and not the .so symlink) in order
to identify the binary package and the corresponding symbols/shlibs file
to generate a dependency.

The latter uses the library paths to find potential libraries in
the built binary packages.

Both programs are run at "build-time", but they care about how dynamic
libraries are loaded at run-time in ordre to identify/find the same
libraries that ld.so would find given a NEEDED entry in an executable.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/