Re: PATCH: fix for 'extended' device numbers

Hi!

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 17:18:43 -0800, Peter Chang wrote:
> tested internally where we have devices w/ minor numbers *much*
> greater than 255.

Ah, yeah I've never liked that particular assignment, but didn't
switch it to use makedev(3) in fear of portability issues, and because
I didn't think it would pose problems currently. After having checked
now, I see that at least NetBSD and OpenBSD would have problems with
large minor numbers. OTOH it seems makedev(3) got removed from latest
Mac OS X, so I'm adding a compat function for similar cases out there.

Queued for my next push.

Thanks,
Guillem