Re: Correct way of providing uncompressed data.tar

Hi,

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013, Roland Stigge wrote:
> To implement a correct fix, Ben asked for a decision by dpkg
> maintainers, FTP team and policy. Basically, the question is if

I think Guillem's position is rather clear, since he filed #718330
requesting support of data.tar in APT. I also agree with him,
data.tar ought to be correctly supported.

Guillem also added preliminary support to normalize the compression
method in dpkg at build time, see commit
625a24bbc8280362c2ab0e3f2f83aacbf25283e0 and the new fixup_gzip_params().

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=625a24bbc8280362c2ab0e3f2f83aacbf25283e0

It lacks a call to compressor_fixup_params() in dpkg-deb/build.c to
make this effective but the intention is clear. "-Zgzip -z0" shall
at some point result in a data.tar member.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/