Re: build profile syntax ideas

Hi,

Quoting Wookey (2013-08-27 13:58:22)
> +++ Guillem Jover [2013-08-16 14:15 +0200]:
> > I've not checked that yet, will try to do that during this weekend.  ISTM I
> > had an issue with the new field being Profile instead of Build-Profile, for
> > example. Will need to check my notes.
>
> The concept was that it was used the same way that 'Architecture' is
> currently. In source packages it indicates what you can build for, and in
> binary packages what it was built for. And we don't bother calling that
> 'build-architecture', so that same logic was follow for 'profile'. But either
> name is file with us.

I renamed "Profile" to "Build-Profile" in the spec at w.d.o/BuildProfileSpec
because calling it just "Profile" may be confusing as the term can also be used
in a different context. We are usually using the word "build profile" anyways
when we talk about it.

> Josch is just making this change now. And will post that to d-devel as that
> what we said we'd do when the original proposal was posted.

I would really love if the dpkg people could agree on a syntax first. The last
email to d-devel seemed to show that developers are in general in favor of
*some* solution to solve the bootstrap problem using build profiles. There just
needs to be an agreement about the syntax...

> OK. So - how do we proceed from here? Various thing are blocked on agreeing
> and implementing this in dpkg in the archive so I'd really like to try and
> get some code and mechanism we can all live with, without spending another 6
> months on it.

Wookey and I updated the https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec to also
include the <profile...> syntax in addition to the [profile...] syntax. It is
very easy to implement the <profile...> syntax and patches implementing the <>
syntax [1] will only need small changes. Implementing the [profile...] syntax
will be a bit more involved but easier now that we agreed that archs and
profiles cannot be mixed (at least in the initial implementation).

Would it help if we can supply patches for both proposals as outlined in above
spec?

Anybody who has any strong feelings about either of the two options, please
speak up so that we can solve this rather sooner than later.

cheers, josch

[1] http://people.debian.org/~wookey/bootstrap/patches/profiles/tools/