Re: 1.17.x series (master branch) started, wheezy branched

Hello Guillem,
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 07:15:08AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 18:27:23 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 06:28:18AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > At the same time I'll open up master for 1.17.x (jessie) development,
> > > and will start flushing all the local changes and bug fixes I've been
> > > accumulating this past months over the next few coming days, to avoid
> > > massive merge conflicts with other branches/code, as some cleanup
> > > changes touch files all over the place. So if people wanted to base off
> > > master for new development I'd ask to hold off for a bit, to avoid
> > > unneeded work on either side. I'd also ask translators to hold off on
> > > working on master for a while, as I'm also planning to do a mass cleanup
> > > of strings (with automated unfuzzies) to avoid wasted work or making it
> > > more difficult. I'll be sending follow up mails when these two are done.
> >
> > Is there an ETA for this? Looking at the commits the clean ups seem to
> > have calmed down a bit and I personally would like to translate as
> > strings appear and avoid massiv rushes for lots of strings.
>
> I got pulled into other stuff and slowed down the patch flushing pace.
> I'll try to increase it again, as I'd like to prepare a release during
> this month or so.

Ok, as I understand the release did happen.

> OTOH, personally I would not see much of a problem with a 1.17.0
> release needing translation work, because we are at the beginning of
> the release cycle and this will affect mainly unstable (and testing
> users) at most. Also knowing that multiple changes to strings will not
> trigger wasted work for translators is relaxing.

Ok, so I'll restart translation work then.

> > > As a reminder to translators, please try to avoid useless merges (usually
> > > from pulls, you can use -r there), and try to squash commits before a
> > > push, otherwise the history gets cluttered with uninteresting stuff. Also
> > > please try to follow the current commit message format, and when doing
> > > commits on behalf of others, simply use «git am» to preserve authorship,
> > > or use --author if the patch is not in git form. If in doubt just ask. :)
> >
> > I'll continue to use the script provided by you (=the dpkg
> > developers), if any requirements change an updated script would be
> > appreciated.
>
> I'd have to take a look at it again. In any case some times multiple
> consecutive commits can be avoided if the push is postponed until the
> translation session is finished (even if that session last several

This is hardly dooable. Because merging po files is a PITA, i.e. if I
work on a translation and in the meantime strings change, then there
is quite a bit of work adjusting the new po file again. I'm (probably)
able to pull this off, but without offending other translators, this is
probably streching it a little to far.

Of course, when I work on the translation I'll do as much as possible
in one go (and then probably a week or so without any work).

Greetings

           Helge