1.17.x series (master branch) started, wheezy branched

[ Translators with dpkg commit bits CCed, please see below. ]

Hi!

I'm finishing the dpkg 1.16.10 upload targetting wheezy, which I'll
move to a new wheezy branch. So, if you have to update any translation
for wheezy, please do so only in the wheezy branch, which should be
appearing in the repository in a bit.

At the same time I'll open up master for 1.17.x (jessie) development,
and will start flushing all the local changes and bug fixes I've been
accumulating this past months over the next few coming days, to avoid
massive merge conflicts with other branches/code, as some cleanup
changes touch files all over the place. So if people wanted to base off
master for new development I'd ask to hold off for a bit, to avoid
unneeded work on either side. I'd also ask translators to hold off on
working on master for a while, as I'm also planning to do a mass cleanup
of strings (with automated unfuzzies) to avoid wasted work or making it
more difficult. I'll be sending follow up mails when these two are done.

As a reminder to translators, please try to avoid useless merges (usually
from pulls, you can use -r there), and try to squash commits before a
push, otherwise the history gets cluttered with uninteresting stuff. Also
please try to follow the current commit message format, and when doing
commits on behalf of others, simply use «git am» to preserve authorship,
or use --author if the patch is not in git form. If in doubt just ask. :)

I'll also be preparing a new stable update with some of the fixes in
1.16.10, once those have migrated to testing.

Regards,
Guillem