Re: Typos in 1.16.4 changelog

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 04:33:02PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 10:57:19 +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> > I noticed two potentional typoes in the changelog:
> >  * usege -> usage
> >  * invokations -> invocations
>
> Ah nicely spotted, thanks! Applied locally.
>
> > Admittedly, I am not a 100% sure on the latter, but googling "define:
> > invokations" suggests should have been "invocations".
>
> It seems to be that way indeed, I've always been confused by invoke
> being with ‘k’, and only recently I noticed I might be using
> invoation wrongly when I saw it used by a native speaker, although
> thought it could be a dialect variation or similar.

Yes, I'm afraid you are correct.  The verb form is spelled with a k,
the past participle with a c.  The English language isn't big on
simple rules.  The two words came separately from Latin through
French into middle English hundreds of years ago and somehow the c
changed to q then to k on the way.  But there are a whole family of
less commmon words that all follow the same rules.  Invoke, convoke,
revoke, maybe more.

regards,
Don MacDougall