Re: BUG: dpkg confused with so many symlinks

Hi!

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 10:01:36 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 09:45:56 +0300, Tamateas Kostas wrote:
> > My system has the directory /bin
> > and /usr/bin --> ../bin (symlink)
> >
> > A deb package has the following files:
> > /bin/as and
> > /usr/bin/@as --> ../../bin/as (symlink)
> >
> > dpkg throws "unable to open /bin/as.dpkg-new No such file or directory"

> When filing the bug, could you also attach the output of:
>
>   # dpkg -D77333 -i failing-package.deb

Ok, after having confirmed off-list that this is not the Debian
binutils package but a custom one (given the paths involved, although
I guess I missed the linuxfromscratch reference, which should have
cleared any suspicion), and as such there's nothing extremely
wrong going on, the only “problem” here is that having symlinked
directories and trying to install different paths that end up resolving
to the same final path is not supported by dpkg (that's one of the
reasons Debian GNU/Hurd stopped symlinking /usr to /, for example).

So you have to either stop symlinking /usr/bin to /bin, or stop
shipping linked file paths in the custom binary package you are
building.

thanks,
guillem