Trying to understand debootstrap/dpkg failure case

I'm attempting to use deboostrap to install a minimal armhf system on new hardware, but the second-stage portion of debootstrap is failing due to dpkg errors.  When I look in the 'debootstrap.log' file I see the following errors:

dpkg: regarding .../apt_0.8.15.10_armhf.deb containing apt, pre-dependency problem:
 apt pre-depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.6)
  libstdc++6 is unpacked, but has never been configured.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_0.8.15.10_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 pre-dependency problem - not installing apt
 /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_0.8.15.10_armhf.deb

If I understand what the error is telling me, the 'libstdc++6' package needs to be configured prior to the 'apt' package being configured.  However, for some reason debootstrap or dpkg is not making sure this is occurring.  This is the only package that causes this error and I can't figure out what broke with regards to the dependency between these two packages.  If run the second-stage debootstrap a second time, it then completes without error, although the apt package needs to be manually installed after.

Can anyone provide insight into what I should be looking at to fix this problem?

BTW, the packages I'm using have all been recompiled by myself to target specific ARM hardware.  It's possible that in building the packages I broke something, but I honestly don't recall making any changes that would impact the dependency between packages.  I've tried to be very careful to try to not make any changes to the packages other than compiling new binaries to work on the specific CPU I'm using.

Any help in understanding what I might have done to cause this error would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Thompson