Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 04:55:02PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
>
> > The unfounded assumption here is that you will always install a
> > foreign-arch M-A: same package together with the native-arch version.
> > If I install libaudio2:i386 because I want to play a game that's only
> > available as a 32-bit binary and has this lib as a dependency, and
> > nothing else on my system uses libaudio2, I still expect to get
> > /usr/share/libaudio2/AuErrorDB installed.

> How is that not a serious policy violation already?  AuErrorDB isn't
> versioned with the SONAME, so libaudio2 and libaudio3 would not be
> coinstallable.

Because libaudio2 is in the directory name.

Also, it's not a policy violation for a library package to contain files
that don't have sensibly versioned names; it's only a policy violation for
the name to not change on soname bump.  So even if this were called
/usr/share/AuErrorDB, it could be changed to /usr/share/libaudio3/AuErrorDB
on soname change and still be compliant.