Re: Multiarch interfaces: print foreign arches, pkgname I/O

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 16:17, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> > dpkg supports the cross-grade, you can tell it to install a foreign
>> > package when a native one is already installed.
>> >
>> > So the goal is to allow the user to cross-grade his system with
>> > a "dpkg -i dpkg_1.16.2_<foreignarch>.deb" (modulo the need to pre-install
>> > the predependencies).
>>
>> With dpkg from your pu/multiarch/full branch, this does not work:
>> | # dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.13-22_amd64.deb
>> | dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.13-22_amd64.deb (--install):
>> |  libc-bin:amd64 2.13-22 (Multi-Arch: foreign) is not co-installable with libc-bin:i386 2.13-22 (Multi-Arch: foreign) which is currently installed
>
> Hum, right, it does not work currently. I mixed because I called
> cross-grade some tests in the test-suite that ensure that we can switch
> between various kind of M-A packages.
>
> So this is currently not supported "as-is" and it would require
> supplementary work. It could be fixed though and made to work with a
> supplementary --force option.

In other word: Never useable by APT or a(ny other) sane front-end.

Beside that i wonder which --force flag this should be, given that it
removes packages while it was requested to install others.
In a way, the old architecture is disappearing, but there are no
Replaces (not even implicit) in place to allow that and the implicit
Conflicts wouldn't allow a seamless disappearing anyway.
So implementing this sounds for me a bit like black voodoo…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies