Re: Hardening patch

Hi Guillem,

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Well, the concerns were coming from first-hand experience from working
> on ARM systems, otherwise I'd not have commented. Specifically on
> Maemo the startup time was so bad for UI apps, we created maemo-launcher
> just to improve it.

Ok, but I'm not yet able to read into minds :-)

> I installed iceweasel on an ARM system (Thecus N2100), w/o X forwarding,
> and no user profile, so it just stops when it's not able to find the
> DISPLAY, but that should be good enough to get timings close to just the
> startup relocation times, which is what the ld.so stats show on amd64
> for example. Caches flushed on each iteration, which were pretty
> consistent, I've included two different ones for each:

I did the same on my eSATA SheevaPlug (armel too) and I don't get the same
results than you.

rhertzog@nas:~$ echo 3 | sudo sponge /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
rhertzog@nas:~$ time LD_DEBUG=statistics MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 iceweasel -ProfileManager
[...]
Error: no display specified
     10941:
     10941:	runtime linker statistics:
     10941:	           final number of relocations: 3306
     10941:	final number of relocations from cache: 26441

real	0m1.771s
user	0m0.100s
sys	0m0.090s
rhertzog@nas:~$ echo 3 | sudo sponge /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
rhertzog@nas:~$ time LD_DEBUG=statistics MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 iceweasel -ProfileManager
[...]
Error: no display specified
     10948:
     10948:	runtime linker statistics:
     10948:	           final number of relocations: 3306
     10948:	final number of relocations from cache: 26441

real	0m1.905s
user	0m0.110s
sys	0m0.080s
rhertzog@nas:~$ echo 3 | sudo sponge /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
rhertzog@nas:~$ time LD_BIND_NOW=1 LD_DEBUG=statistics MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 iceweasel -ProfileManager
[...]
Error: no display specified
     11034:
     11034:	runtime linker statistics:
     11034:	           final number of relocations: 17420
     11034:	final number of relocations from cache: 26441

real	0m1.771s
user	0m0.230s
sys	0m0.140s
rhertzog@nas:~$ echo 3 | sudo sponge /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
rhertzog@nas:~$ time LD_BIND_NOW=1 LD_DEBUG=statistics MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1 iceweasel -ProfileManager
[...]
Error: no display specified
     11041:
     11041:	runtime linker statistics:
     11041:	           final number of relocations: 17420
     11041:	final number of relocations from cache: 26441

real	0m2.056s
user	0m0.270s
sys	0m0.100s

> As it can bee seen the difference is pretty significant.

As it can be seen, the difference is not something that affects
all armel machines in the same way.

I did 10 run of each, dropped the biggest value and did the mean
value on the rest:
- bind lazy: 1.842s
- bind now: 1.910s

Difference: +3,6 %

I'm using the plain Debian kernel and all squeeze packages.

$ uname -a
Linux nas 2.6.32-5-kirkwood #1 Wed Jan 12 15:27:07 UTC 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

> > Feel free to change it if you think it's better that way. I'm not attached
> > to it.
>
> I'm changing it now on my local tree, will be included in my next
> push.

Given my test, I'm not convinced it's the right course of action.

I did the same test on my i386 setup and I got this:
- bind lazy: 0.320s
- bind now: 0.330s

Difference: +3,1 %

At the very least, we could keep it enabled for i386/amd64, no ?

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)