Re: Dependencies of metapackages

but if you mean strict "meta" as in it has no files but depends on real specific libraried packages ...

as far as I know strict "meta" are already well versioned and any package, such as perl, acts as a "meta" in some way by depending on other versions of packages to "fully install" - in the sense of how you are discussing whether metas can have version - though it has a few initial files installed.

what is important is that metas and virtuals are not mixed together and kept far apart is what I'd say