Re: editorrc as update-alternatives slave

Hello,

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Could we add /var/lib/misc/editorrc (the new agreed-on
> path for editorrc shared across jupp and joe) as slave
> to update-alternatives for editor?

Yes you can.

(But it's a bit weird that those editors do not use their canonical name
to find their configuration file and instead rely on argv[0]...)

> Editors that don't
> use it, like vi and nano, need then not define it and
> will just have /var/lib/misc/editorrc dangling (or be
> nonexistant), while editors that do define it (like joe,
> jupp, and their variants jstar, jmacs, jpico, etc.) have
> a symlink there which points to /etc/joe/joerc and so on,
> depending on the editor choice.

When an alternative doesn't provide a slave, u-a drops the symlink (i.e.
it will not be dangling).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)