Re: libqwt-dev: apt reinstalls the package

forcemerge 631816 633943
quit

Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:

>> It's accepted by dpkg at least. Why would it be invalid?
>
> It all depends on how one interprets the phrase "may not" in the
> following sentence describing debian_version
>
> 	It is optional; if it isn't present then the upstream_version
> 	may not contain a hyphen.

Oops --- I can't read.  Thanks.

After rereading it again, I think what was confusing me is that
I read the subject of this sentence as being <debian_revision>, rather
than the entire "-<debian_revision>" part.

With the latter interpretation, it seems possible to view 6.0.0- as a
valid version number with debian_revision part present but an empty
<debian_revision>.

And based on

	The package management system will break the version number
	apart at the last hyphen in the string (if there is one) to
	determine the upstream_version and debian_revision. The
	absence of a debian_revision is equivalent to a
	debian_revision of 0

it seems safe to assume that it would represent the same version as
6.0.0-0.

Eugene, does this sound sensible to you?  Any ideas for clarifying the
text either way?

Jonathan