Re: Triggers on file patterns (similar to bug #553266)

Hi Sjors,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> There are other use cases to come up with to defend the idea of a glob-,
> regexp- or even just file extension-based trigger ("I want to do a virus
> scan on every .so library file", "I want every .pl file using
> #!/usr/bin/perl to use #!/usr/local/bin/perl as the interpreter", "I
> want to build an index for every HTML file with 'foo' in its name"), but
> I must admit those are all not my use cases. Nevertheless, do you think
> the feature would be an addition to dpkg? I'm asking specifically
> because I'm trying to, as Guillem nicely put it, reduce the delta we
> carry on dpkg -- writing a patch only to have it rejected upstream
> either increases this delta or is a sad waste of my time. If you think
> it wouldn't be a valuable addition, I'd rather invest some time in
> seeking other parts of our changes to the Debian tools to upstream :)

I already stated my gut feeling but then I must say that it depends on
how intrusive the patch ends up being. I have the feeling that it should
be relatively easy to implement this feature as a variation of the current
file based triggers so it might be ok and could be valuable for some
use cases.

That said I can't tell with 100% certainty that we're going to accept the
patch. Currently we don't have clear rules on how to decide what new
features are acceptable or not, and thus I'm not comfortable taking a
decision alone. I usually hope for an ACK of Guillem but when he
doesn't respond we tend to fall in some grey area...

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)