Re: [RFC] Skipping new-prerm failed-upgrade?

> I would thus like to discuss 2 ideas:

> 1/ I'd argue that in the case of downgrade, dpkg should not try to run
>    the failed-upgrade fallback because there's no way the oldest version
>    can be aware of how to work-around a problem in a prerm script of a
>    newer version that did not exist at the time the oldest prerm was
>    written.

>    Suggested patch attached. Do you agree with this? Do you see possible
>    problems with this?

I think I agree with this change.  The only thing the old version could do
is run generic recovery code, and if there's generic recovery code, it can
just go into the new version directly where no fallback is required.

Downgrade is basically unspecified in Policy right now.  It would be
interesting to do the work to specify how things behave, although I
suspect it would be a non-trivial amount of work.