Re: [Soc-coordination] Declarative Diversions - Report 1

On 06/04/2011 09:59 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Luk Claes wrote:
>
>> Because people want to have both atomic changes of their /bin/sh as well
>> as being able to choose between more than 2 options for their /bin/sh ...
>
> See http://repo.or.cz/w/dash/debian/jrn.git/commitdiff/cea77edd1 for
> an example where the ability to atomically "steal" a diversion would
> be helpful.  This is certainly not a candidate for declarative
> diversions (and the tricky use of diversions is just meant as a means
> of escape from a scenario where diversions were not the right tool for
> the job imho).

It might not be the best way to do it, but at the time we discussed the
possible solutions and the diversions one was the one that looked the
safest and was possible in the short term.

I'm all for having a better solution, so please do continue your quest.

Cheers

Luk