Re: --force-confnew does not behave as expected

Hi,

On Thu, 05 May 2011, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> According to my understanding of the documentation,
> /etc/init.d/apache2 should be reverted to its original form in the
> package, per the --force-confnew flag, but this does not happen. It
> seems unlikely that this is a bug, and it seems more likely I am
> misunderstanding the documentation and not using the right command,
> so I'm writing to ask for clarification. Please CC me on any reply.

You are misunderstanding the doc indeed, and you should have asked on
debian-user@lists.debian.org, not here.

The flag only matters when the package tries to install a new version of
the configuration file, but here you're re-installing the same package
and thus there's no new version of the config file compared to the

You also need --force-confask to force dpkg to re-try installing the file.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)