Re: Speeding up dpkg, a proposal

On 3/3/2011 12:49 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> That's wrong. The writeback is initiated before the fsync() so the
> filesystem can order the write how it wants.

Don't you mean it MAY be initiated if the cache decides there is enough
memory pressure?  I don't know of any other call besides fsync and
friends to force the writeback so before that is called, it could ( and
likely is if you have plenty of memory ) still be sitting in the cache
and the disk queue idle.

> And we use some linux specific ioctl to avoid that fragmentation.

Could you be more specific?