Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

Hi!

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 13:15:47 +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2011-02-11, Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp> wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:20:02 +0100
> > Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> >> I have not seen any word about XZ support.
> >> When you deployed support for new source package formats, you forbid
> >> lzma because xz was coming along and you mentioned that wheezy could have
> >> xz enabled.
> >> I would like to see xz allowed both for source package and for binary
> >> packages.
> >  I want XZ support too, at least it reduce size for some font packages.
> >  e.g.

> Do we have an idea how much more memory xz needs for decompression?

We changed the default compression level for lzma to -6, and set it as
the default for xz on the initial addition to dpkg-deb in 1.15.6,
exactly for the memory reasons, taking into account small systems and
to open the possibility of a possible future default switch. I think
xz and lzma memory usage might vary slightly but for xz -6 the man
page says 9 MiB on decompression, which should be fine everywhere.

> I guess it wouldn't be feasible to switch dpkg's default on package builds
> on those architectures where we assume some more beefyness?

It would be possible, but I'd rather not do that, as even if some
architectures are prone to have more memory generally, that's an
exclusive charecteristic of the system, and the decisions to exclude
specific architectures would seem somehow arbitrary (I'm sure there's
still people using Debian on i486), and Debian specific. When changing
the dafault for dpkg-deb, it should be changed for everything.

regards,
guillem