Re: Accepted dpkg 1.15.8.7 (source all amd64)

Hi Julien,

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 02:32:17 +0000, Guillem Jover wrote:
>
> >    * On Linux use sync_file_range() to initiate asynchronous writeback
> >      of just unpacked files. Suggested by Ted Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>.
> >      Thanks to Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>. Closes: #605009
> >    * On non-Linux use posix_fadvise(POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED) to notify the kernel
> >      dpkg does not need the unpacked files any longer, and that it can start
> >      writeback to be able to evict them from the cache at a later point.
>
> You're ignoring the return value of sync_file_range (and posix_fadvise).
> While that may be ok for SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE, I don't think it is for
> SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WAIT_BEFORE.

It is ok since fsync() is still called afterwards. Both are only useful
to avoid the speed-penalty that fsync() was giving us, but fsync() is
still executed (and is usualy a no-op since the work has already been done
thanks to the sync_file_range calls).

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)