Re: The fsync issue

Hi Ben!

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 13:31:20 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Just got this from Christoph Helwig:
>
> 13:23 < hch> bwh: if you guys are interested in helping dpkg review and ack the
>              per-fs sync ioctl path that sage weil sent out a couple of weeks
>              ago
> 13:24 < hch> bwh: and report the ext4 fsync issues to the list, I know ext4
>              fsync isn't stellar, but the numbers sounds so bad that there must
>              be a bug somewhere

> The patch referred to is in
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/44628>.

Unfortunately that patch does not seem much appealing, it's Linux only,
not even in mainline, and it would need for dpkg to track on which file
system each file is located and issue such ioctl once per file system.

I'd rather not complicate the dpkg source code even more for something
that seems to me to be a bug or missfeature in the file system. More so
when there's a clear fix (nodelalloc) that solves both the performance
and data safety issues in general.

thanks,
guillem