Re: Can't externally acquire lock on /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

2010/2/10 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:

> Not tested and off the top of my head:
>
> apt-get --no-download -o APT::Update::Pre-Invoke::="find /var/lib/apt/lists -type f -a ! -name lock && tar xvjpf lists.tar.bz2 -C /var/lib/apt" update
>

> - Invoking apt-get takes the lock so that is out of the way.
>
> - --no-download prevents apt-get from going online and downloading Index files.
>
> - APT::Update::Pre-Invoke is run before updating the index
>  files. Although since you download nothing Post-Invoke would work
>  too. But maybe something else wants to run then already.

Thanks a lot, it seemed good but unfortunately that --no-download
seems to make apt-get *not* to call shell scripts in
APT::Update::Pre-Invoke and APT::Update::Post-Invoke configuration
items. I don't know other configuration items that
may do the job but I'll try to search.

> PS: Why delete files prior to unpacking? Just unpack the new ones and
> let apt clean up any extra files like it already does. That also allows for partial updates.

You are right, It was just a quick and ugly attempt. As most works,
they required to do this today, and it must be ready for yesterday,
ehehehehe.

Greetings,
Francesco