Re: The fsync issue

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

>> Tracking fds is going to be easier, at that point dpkg already has
>> the stat information, so it could queue an fd per unique st_dev for
>> example.
>
> That sounds like a good plan. How hard would it be to implement this
> based on FDs instead of path? Would the ioctl patch need changes to work
> on an FD instead of path? (sorry, haven't read the patch)

It uses fds.

BTW review of the dpkg and kernel patches would be quite welcome.
Both are simple, or so I hope.  I would like to send another version
or the dpkg patch with sync-per-filesystem enabled unconditionally
when it works on Linux (thus no string changes) and
fsync_or_sync_filesystem implemented in a separate file; if there are
other updates to include at the same time, that would be nice.

Regards,
Jonathan